Sunday, April 3, 2011

Giraffe-Teacher and the Battle of the Hippo

One of my students may or may not be short an eye...
He came into class the other day with his right eye covered in bandages. When I asked what happened I was told "I fell and hit the corner of a desk. Now it's gone." It wasn't an April fool's joke as he was clearly drugged up on something. I'm hoping that "it's gone" is just an exaggeration/over-reaction. I guess we'll find out the answer in a couple of weeks. This past week was alarmingly full of children with injuries... mostly just bleeding, but yeah.

I'm involved in an ongoing battle between my B-week third grade class, well, with one boy in my b-week third grade class. He made the 'H' association between Hannah and hippo, and has begun calling me hippo teacher. Now, I find nothing insulting about being called a hippo. They're adorable creatures that are also very capable of putting you in your place. But I am not a hippo, I am a giraffe. In fact, most of the students in the school "believe" that my mother is a giraffe. After a week of us arguing (the girls were on my side) I wore my giraffe-ears headband to class. Hopefully I won. We'll see.

I really enjoy the B-week third-graders, as they are making clear progress. The A-week third graders aren't doing quite so well. Part of that is because they have a very short attention span. They're not even at the point where we can play games together yet though, as their English is so limited.

Not much else is happening. I'll be leaving sometime in June, but I don't know when. I have found my replacement, which is nice. I've started packing (winter clothes only) and trying to organize my next two months as much as possible so that I'll be able to get everything done that I want to without feeling too stressed right at the end.

It's already nice and springy here, hopefully the weather holds! If there's one thing I can say about Korea, it's that I really do enjoy the weather (except the thunderstorms). Sorry for all of you stuck in the snowy northeast! I hope spring comes to you soon.

~Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment