Friday, September 3, 2010

Cell Phones

We now have cell phones! And Hannah taught me how to pay the bills, which I will have to do when I move across the parking lot thingy. But that's less exciting. Anyway.

We got paid on Tuesday, I think, and on Wednesday we started our search. The language barrier has been a little difficult, but it was the most difficult, for me at least, during this shopping trip. The first store we tried said that the cell phones were 200,000 Korean won, about 200 USD. That's a bit ridiculous. Neither of us could decide whether the guy just misunderstood what we were saying or if it was a matter of taking advantage of the "stupid foreigners" but we moved on. The second store sent us back to the first store, so we went to a new one. This one we seemed to be making some progress, and the guy opened up a translator for Korean-English and English-Korean so we could communicate a little bit. However, the trip was cut short because we had to go to work. On Thursday we left early and returned to the last store. The workers were really nice and, with the use of another translator thing, we got rather nice cell phones. The phones were 30,000 and the plan was 24,000 so all in all we paid 50,500 won for cell phones and such. That's about 50 USD, which is way cheaper then I can think of for a phone in the states. It was exciting, and I'm glad to have a phone :)

In other news. I did a quick e-mart run on Sunday, Saturday it was pouring all day and I didn't end up leaving the apartment. The funny thing was that the taxi driver who took me back to the apartment was asking questions, like they do here, and one of them was if I was married. It was so random, and highly amusing. And then on Monday when I was on the bus on the way back from work there was this cute guy on the bus. He started talking to me, asked where I was from, the usual questions, mentioned that he was a policeman, and told me that he had gotten on the bus just so that he could talk to me and asked for my number. I, at the time, didn't have a cell phone and told him this, so we ended up exchanged email addresses. I'm still rather amused by this and am not sure if I'm going to email him my new number.

I'm sort of settling into life here. At least the teaching aspect of it. I will soon, hopefully, but doing the mundane settling down thing that Hannah has down. Lori leaves next week, and I'll get to move in and unpack, finally. On the other hand, I will miss her and am sad she is leaving. I am excited to see Britton again, he comes next week too, I believe. Hannah and I start Korean speaking classes at the GIC soon so hopefully this language barrier will lessen as we learn more. That's all I can think of to write now.

~Lyn

No comments:

Post a Comment