Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Why Our School is Weird

So we currently are on break for three days. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. It's a little ridiculous that we have to go to school on both Monday and Friday when the other academies, from what I've heard, had Monday off. But such is life. I had really meant to update this on Monday, and here I sit on Wednesday finally doing it. Oops. Oh well.
Last Saturday I had originally planned to go with Hannah to the GIC to make the rice cakes even though it was Yom Kippur and I was fasting so I wouldn't be able to eat any of them. However, I woke up with a major migraine and stayed home. Hannah came over Saturday night and I made us pancakes and that was fun and delicious, and she brought me some rice cakes and they were not as good, but still kinda tasty. The reheating job was probably not the best. Then on Sunday I went with Britton and Heather (his girlfriend) to Kuma World (i think that's how it's spelled). It's the HUGE electronics store, and furniture, and other stuff. But I was only interested in the electronics. Then we went to the main E-mart which is right next door to that. I now have an external CD player and a wireless router. I am happy about that, except that it's been making the skype connection wonky (seriously mom, stop calling me, I'll call you when I fix it), but I'm figuring it out.
Monday was test day for me. I took the Friday last week to finish up the units I was working on and make sure the kids really understood them. So, Monday I did get better test scores from these classes, which was great. I really think I MIGHT be finally getting through to some of the Grade 5s I have this week. Plus it helps that some of them might be moved down to a slower class. The class is just too mixed. I try to move at the pace for the majority of them, but I'm leaving some kids behind, and I can't slow down for just one or two kids, no matter how much I may want to. And we really don't have an option of after school help because some of them go straight to Math School when we're done with them. It's frustrating.
Speaking of frustrating things. Since I no longer have my Grade 7s (YAY) I have an extra recording period, as I mentioned. For the past few days it's been taken up with me reading vocab words slowly and clearly, enunciating every single letter, ugh. It's kinda fun on some levels, but on others it's just annoying. I also get to record with the secretaries, they say the word in Korean, I say it twice in English. That's fun, they're adorable. Anyway, I'm off to go exploring and mail letters.

~Lyn

No comments:

Post a Comment