Sunday, December 26, 2010

즐거운 크리쓰마쓰- Joyful Christmas


Steph says "Merry Christmas!"

I love Christmas. It's my favorite holiday, and I take the time and effort to make sure it's perfect. I finish all my shopping by the end of October, so that I have time to do others, I do all the baking, all the wrapping, and a good portion of the Christmas card stamping.

It's been a very strange Christmas without all of that (although somewhat relaxing, not having someone around you stressing out, even though you're doing the majority of their work). Josh and I got our three-foot Christmas tree while he was here, and we decorated it together, but it hasn't had much in the way of presents under it.

Then on Tuesday, I got sick. Really really sick. Fever, chills, it was bad enough I had to call off work on Wednesday. Thursday and Friday were painful to get through, even though Friday was our Christmas Luncheon. I was afraid that I was going to have to make a last minute cancellation of my Christmas cocktail party, or at the very least scale back on everything I wanted to do. However, when Christmas morning came around I went over to my friend Shanna's for a fantastic brunch with a fantastic group of people before hurrying back to my apartment for some quick shopping and lots of baking! In 3 hours I made pumpkin pie, brownies, sugar cookies, spiced wine, and homemade hot chocolate. I was still cutting out sugar cookies when the guests arrived, but I was finished not long after


Hannah's Second Annual Christmas Cocktail was a success, even without the usual players (like my kitchen-aid electric stand mixer). Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves, and the food was enjoyed (even though I have an unholy amount of leftovers!). Yeo-Yeo got a new water bottle (an extra big one so she'll have plenty of water while Mommy's in Japan!) and Steph got a little Christmas Moose to keep her company (she was less than thrilled).

Christmas in Korea is strange, at least from an American perspective. Everything stays open and life continues pretty much as usual. Yes, South Korea is a predominately Christian country, so most people celebrate Christmas, and many do go to Church (and on Christmas Eve there was a parade of people downtown with giant Jesus banners) but it doesn't seem to have the commercial or social significance American Christmas does. Koreans also seem to be very private in their holidays, they are celebrations in the home, not large public spectacles. I'm only really basing this off of Chuseok and Christmas, but it wouldn't surprise me if this held. Perhaps my favorite Korean Christmas tradition though is the Christmas cake. There are tons of adorable Christmas cakes for sale and they all come with candles. Before you cut the cake you sing "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" and then blow out the candles. Kind of a fun tradition!

Well, I help everyone is enjoying their holidays! If you're getting blizzarded on where you are, stay safe and warm!
~Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment