Monday, September 5, 2011

In Which Tempus Fugit

Or, I Can't Believe How Fast August Passed

Wow! August just flew by. After a few months of time dragging by at a snails pace and then WOOSH! August disappeared. Part of it is that I was so busy. Moving apartments, getting settled into my new job at ELC and so on. I feel like I blinked and suddenly it's September.

My perception of time aside, I feel like getting adjusted to ELC is a lot easier than getting adjusted to MunHwa was. It's amazing what having a year experience under your belt can do. Things make a little more sense. Not that's it's been a 100% smooth transition, I'm still a bit confused by my schedule and I have to re-write it out to make sense of it. I'm still getting used to teaching straight from a book and having a syllabus to follow. I really like it though. I'm given the book and a syllabus to follow. I mostly focus on speaking or writing, which is similar to at MunHwa, but it's more structured. We have different books for each class, each class is split up based on level more than grade. My classes are generally around the same level, I don't have any major splits which were a headache to deal with at MunHwa.

The students are much the same. I wasn't really expecting that big a difference with them. I like them though, I already have some favorite students and classes. I feel like I'm a better teacher than I was at MunHwa, and I'm not sure how much of that is just my brain acting strangely. I have less free time, which I'm sure my friends have noticed. I work from 2:30 pm until around 9:30 at night. It's a long day, but worth it. I supposedly work on Saturdays too, but that hasn't happened yet, so I'm just confused about that part. I started meeting with a tutor for my Korean, so I have that two mornings a week and I'll be helping out at a Kindergarten three times a week. I think. Still getting all the details figured out.

The apartment is MUCH smaller than my apartment before was. It's a one room, and I'll have pictures up just as soon as I finish re-arranging everything to my satisfaction. We have a break coming up this weekend and I'll be going up to Seoul for that. I can't think of what else to say at the moment. My insomnia has been acting up for a variety of reasons so I'm to exhausted to think or write more. I'll keep the updates coming as often as I can :D Promise not to disappear now that I'm the only one posting!

~Lyn~

No comments:

Post a Comment