Sunday, November 7, 2010

Art :)

Sorry it's been so long between posts, this week, and last week were exhausting in their own ways. But, I'll start with the fun stuff. Today I went to the Biennale (I think that's how it's spelled) which is a Modern Art Museum in Gwangju with Britton and Heather. It was so much fun! There were some crazy things, some cool things, and some weird things there, but all in all it was awesome. There was a room full of pictures of kids with teddy bears, all old black and white pictures, which was awesome. There were videos of random things playing everywhere in these little side rooms. There was a cool area that was like walking through an apartment only there was no furniture or outlets, they were designated by dark shapes where they would go. It was pretty interesting. There were a few grotesque things, like this one area where they kept children out of that had photographs of people who were murdered and above the photograph a mannequin head with nails driven through to show where the damage was (I think). There was a room plastered with front pages of newspapers on what was reported after 9/11. And a lot of other things. It was an great exhibit. Afterward we went out to eat at an Italian restaurant that was alright. Then I came home because I'm exhausted.

My classes are starting to settle down, finally, and do varying degrees. As usual my B week, which I just finished with (and I think I'm counting the opposite weeks as Hannah as my A and B weeks...anyway) was exhausting, but fun. They like me and respond to me a lot better than my A week does. I showed them some School House Rock Grammar to help them with some grammar points. The Grade 4s loved it, and the Grade 6s were amused, but my Grade 5s were blank. This week my Grade 5s were so unresponsive and quiet, it was like they were replaced by pod-people. They're usually one of my loudest classes. My grade 4s are finally used to me so we go through lessons fairly well. My Grade 6s were acting up a lot this week though, I don't know what was wrong with them but I hope it was just a one week thing. They were ridiculous. The week before, my A week, some of them are finally starting to get used to me and understand what I expect. My Grade 4 student who told me in class a few weeks ago that he hated me was very well behaved that week. My Grade 5s, as usual, were fun. The boys just need to settle down a bit and we'll have a great time in that class. My Grade 6s apparently asked Mr. Kang if they could changed Foreign teachers because I'm mean and take too many points, but he said no. Luckily they are not overtly hostile so I can deal with them. I had them write their own monster stories because of Halloween. I got 2 vampire, 1 frankenstein, a handful of originals and, like, 5 Zombie Apocalypse stories. I was amused.

Speaking of Halloween, I managed to scare some of my students with my retractable fangs my mom sent me. It was great. They were all freaked out, which kinda made my day a lot. They were also all fascinated by it. After my Grade 5s finished their test they made me turn out the lights and tell them a ghost story. Since I had my clunky heels on I did "The Legend of Sleepy Hallow" complete with sound effects from my shoes. They got into it and when one of my student's phone vibrated mid-story I got a few shrieks.

Other than that, life seems to be settling down for me, which is nice. Korean class finished so now I need to figure out if I want to take the second half or not. I probably will. That's all I got for now.

~Lyn

No comments:

Post a Comment