Saturday, July 31, 2010

Magkuli: 막걸리


The picture is the 'pick-your-own-squid' tank at Emart. Magkuli is a traditional Korean rice wine. It has a low alcohol content and a slightly sweet taste!

Today Lyn and I went to Emart, which is quickly becoming my new favorite place. We walked there and took a taxi back, and I was immensely pleased that we managed to orient ourselves/communicate enough to do that! I got some household things and lots of groceries, so now I can truly start cooking for myself. I want to start learning to cook traditional Korean food (or at least modified Korean food) but for right now I'm sticking to easy things like pasta. My mother will be pleased to know I bought some lettuce and bean sprouts with which to salad. I also got some Sesame leaves. I tried them the other night when we went out to dinner to celebrate Sandy's last day. At the restaurant we went to the table was given a giant plate of pork and a few piles of lettuce and sesame leaves, and you wrapped the pork (and other toppings, like garlic, kimchi, and potato noodles) into the leaves and then ate them. The sesame leaves were so delicious! I couldn't resist getting some to put in salad or snack on plain.

I also made a few very important purchases and I now have a half-gallon tank with a small female betta (long beautiful fins, blue with a slight mustard gas coloration for those who care, or just want to laugh at me). It's the little touch that really makes this place feel like a permanent home.

Lyn and I also got pizza for dinner at a cute local place called Pizza School. This is worth mentioning simply because we managed to order successfully despite the language barrier. Overall I'm very excited about how successful today was, it's really nice to feel like I'm acclimating!

~Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment