Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Dasarang: 다사랑

Dasarang is an AMAZING chicken restaurant. One just opened up right down the street from our apartment. That and the French bakery that is practically next to our apartment will be jointly responsible for making me fat (Hi Mom...).

The other day was spent cleaning and organizing and scrubbing my fridge in an event that was way more fun than it should have been. I never accomplish everything I want to do over breaks, and this one will probably be no exception, but I do have tomorrow to be useful.

I'm starting to feel more confident in my ability to get around, and found a phrase book in my apartment, which proved very useful today. My day started with a 7am trip to the bus station to drop off Sandy's luggage so she could leave for Cambodia. While there I had the chance to try one of the strange dunkin donut flavors, I opted for watermelon, I couldn't bring myself to try the banana one. Getting home from the bus station was also easier than anticipated (The past couple of times I've been in charge of saying the apartment name I have absolutely butchered it.) I did make the mistake of thanking the taxi driver in Russian (Спасибо) before catching my mistake and shouting it out in Korean (감사합니다). I quite miss reading things in Russian and wish I had brought my books with me so that I could keep learning. For whatever reason I seem to do better with languages that have non-Phoenician alphabets. I got back to the apartment and then went back to bed for a few hours before waking up and cooking myself breakfast. I made bacon and egg and felt quite accomplished. In sucky news, the hot water heater in my apartment appears to have died for good, which means I really have to harass Mr. Lee about it and get it fixed as soon as possible.

Lyn and I went to the Gwangju Folk Museum today, which was fantastic because it means I got to get my anthropology on. I love those opportunities because it just reinforces that I'm going into the right field. Most of the museum was focused on the traditional Korean way of life, less on rituals and lore, but this didn't stop me from finding interesting. One thing I thought was really interesting is that part of the traditional Korean wedding ceremony involves the groom presenting the bride with a wooden representation of a wild goose!

We made it back to the apartment and then went to Dasarang for dinner. Seriously, so tasty. It's just fried chicken, but it's the best fried chicken ever.

I had the first feelings of... well, almost homesickness, but not quite. I've of course been missing individual people (some far more than others), and of course Phoebe, but I had a weird moment where I realized I wouldn't be home for a full year. I thought of something at home that I didn't pack and just thought "oh, I'll just grab it next time I'm home!" but next time I'm home will be this time next year! It seems so weird, especially since I'll most likely be spending the time there repacking to move someplace else... it's strange, because the fact that i've graduated hasn't really sunk in yet, I still just feel like I'm on summer vacation (and technically... until thrusday... i sorta am!). Well, that's all from here, for now at least! Take care everyone!

~Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment