Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Taxi: 택시


Today started out plain enough. Went to the hospital and got our chest X-rays. We'll get our results tomorrow and thusly end THAT fiasco. We go out to get our taxi to the school (I should mention that it is just Lyn and I). We get in a taxi. I say where we need to go. The taxi driver starts driving.
And here's where it all gets interesting. The stop for the school has a very similar name to the train station on the other side of the town. It's about a 5 minute drive from the hospital to the school. So you realize pretty quick when the taxi isn't going the right way. My pronunciation is bad, so it happens. The failsafe is a handy little card that has the name of our stop on it. I just flash the card, point, and voila! Problem solved. Well, not today. We quickly realized we were going to the wrong place, resaid the name, and pointed to the card. The taxi driver ignored me. Repeat this five more times, and add in me saying no and gesturing back towards where we needed to be heading. It was ridiculous. We got all the way to the train station, and when I said no he started yelling. So there was yelling and pointing and finally I just told him to take us back to our apartment so we could get a competent taxi.
Except he didn't take us to the taxi, he took us to the apartment and church you can see in the photo at the top of this entry (yup, he took us to the view of the apartment.). So that was a $10 taxi ride. Then we walked. Confused, through the back streets of Gwangju. Some children shouted hello to us in English, but as soon as we tried to ask them where we could get a taxi they clammed up. Fortunately for us, where we were dropped off is not nearly as far from our apartments as it looks! We shortly ended up at the market, and quickly grabbed a friendly, competent taxi that took us to our school without any issue.
For me at least, the rest of the day was fine. I was still very stressed so I just let my 4th graders play games. Then the rest of my classes were well behaved (even the 7th graders, relatively speaking). Tomorrow we have to go back to the hospital to get all our test results so we can FINALLY get to immigration. Hopefully we don't have any more adventures and can finally get our alien cards (which will enable us to have lives).
Wish us luck!
~Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment