Saturday, August 14, 2010

And then life was easier...

So now both Hannah and I have survived our first full week of teaching. I hadn't realized it, but even though Hannah was here a bit longer then me, one week longer, two weeks? Anyway, this was the first full week of teaching for both of us because of the vacation. And we made it! Haha! And we made it through the whole process of immigration and are just waiting for our card thingys.

After all of that hassle, and the fiascoes with the hospital and such we are done! We got our results on Thursday from the hospital, surprisingly easily. No more taxi drama either, thank G-d. So on Friday we met Mr. Lee at 10 AM to go to immigration, we weren't sure how long it would take so we met early. After getting there, we took numbers and we were done within 10 minutes. Easy. No problems. We had to wait a little longer so Mr. Lee could do Britton's Visa stuffs, but that went fairly quick too. So we ended up at school two hours early. It was a ridiculously anti-climatic end to all the issues we have been having. Even starting from the beginning, all the issues I had with getting the Visa because of the police check thing, which apparently, Korean is one of the only countries that requires and apostille. And then, this takes about 10 mins, no problems. Not that I'm not incredibly thankful it was easy, I was just surprised.

It was fun though. Hannah and I ended up in the coffee shop next to the school talking and chilling before we had to start school. We were going through a magazine about Housekeeping or something. And we were looking at the ads, and the people in the ads. Hannah was being all anthropology smart-like (that's totally a description!), I was contributing, but mostly having fun guessing at where the models were from. And we got into a discussion on how we could get the kids to understand/talk about what the Asian ideal is for beauty. It was really nice to have a conversation on that level. An intelligent conversation. When we would then spend the whole day talking like we have to explain things to stupid small children because not all the kids have great vocabulary skills. Friday is test day, so it was a fairly easy day.

When I got home after finishing up the grading (mine took longer so I got home last) I decided I wanted to celebrate surviving the first full week, that's when Hannah pointed out it was her first full week too. So we got a pizza (yes, they have delicious pizza here, right around the corner actually), and made muffins. That was a fun experience. I helped, and by that I mean I washed the dishes. And Hannah mixed everything together, and we had a stupid moment trying to work the oven, but it all turned out delicious. Even if I did get a bag of chocolate chips thrown at me, and then I spilled all the clean silverware on the floor...twice. And then we talked and drank a little bit and suddenly it was 1 AM. It was fun. Then today, we were going to go to Art Street, but we got distracted by other things and will go tomorrow instead, maybe...probably. We're definitely going to emart anyway. And that is all I can think of to say. We're going out for amazing chicken tonight with Lori and Petra, whenever they show up (hopefully soon, I'm hungry).

~Lyn

No comments:

Post a Comment