Saturday, October 23, 2010

Say Kimchi!



It's 750 am. Hannah rolls over, looks at her alarm clock, and says several words that will not be repeated here. "Do I really want to go to the darn kimchi festival?" She asks herself, pulling her baby seal pillow in closer. "What's so special about making kimchi anyways." A few minutes of grumbling later, Hannah's instant coffee is cooling down while she deliriously showers, hoping she can get to the GIC for the 910 bus departure (she does).

So that was my morning. I am very glad that I went to the festival, and also very glad that I went early, because it meant that I got to see the opening ceremonies, which meant I got to see "Kimchi: The interpretive dance!" (People with large vegetables danced around the stage... it was weird). There were people dressed as cabbages walking around, but they disappeared before I could take there picture! I had my kimchi making experience (pretty easy when all you have to do is massage the ingredients into a cabbage), and my kimchi is now sitting happily in my fridge! I also stole the apron they had us wear when we made kimchi, because stealing things is cheaper than buying a t-shirt! Then I walked around the Biennale, which is like there art museum. They had an exhibition called 1000 Lives. Most of it was interesting, some of it was freaking weird. Also, because I went with the GIC I got to meet some new people. It was fun! There's a larger foreign population than you'd think here in Gwangju, and not just teachers, there are also a lot of college students.

Of course, the kicker to the first part of this story: As soon as I got back from the festival and was snuggly in my apartment I got a call from my friend Mieka. They were just getting to the festival... so I totes could've blown off the GIC and gone later... but I guess then I wouldn't have gotten to see my interpretive dance.

Classes are going well, aside from the fist fight in my 5th grade class on Weds... I yelled (really yelled) for the first time at the two boys who were fighting, and now the class is scared of me. The trouble makers in 6th grade are doing better. I had Halloween parties for all my kids on Friday, it was a lot of fun. I gave them all chocopies and lollipops. I'll be doing it again with my classes next week!

Tonight is the monthly Foreigner dinner, so I'll be heading out to that shortly!

~Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment